Why do Registered Tax Agents need it?

Apart from being the most sensible financial and legal decision for Registered Tax Agents, Professional Indemnity insurance is also an actual requirement in the industry.

The Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) has made it so since 2011 and with good cause – Professional Indemnity Insurance covers you against the risk of a client claiming damages. Your professionalism and service often aren’t enough to protect against these claims so that’s why it is key you have cover.

Your coverage should be based on turnover – just see the handy guide below. There is a minimum requirement for coverage as well as other risk-driven factors to consider. It may seem complicated but BizCover makes it simple with direct quote comparisons delivered in seconds.

From 1st July, 2011, the Tax Practitioners Board required BAS Agents to have Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance. Professional Indemnity insurance coverage helps to reduce the risk that an Agent will be made liable for a client’s losses, due to the conduct of the Agent in the provision or failure to provide services.

Professional Indemnity for Registered Tax Agents*^

Tier Turnover from the provision of BAS services Minimum aggregate amount of cover
1 Up to $75,000 (excluding GST) $250,000 cover inclusive of legal and defence costs
2 $75,001 – $500,000 (excluding GST) $500,000 cover inclusive of legal and defence costs
3 Over $500,000 (excluding GST) $1,000,000 cover inclusive of legal and defence costs

^Minimum PI insurance requirement source from TPB (2017, June 19th). tpb.gov.au/professional-indemnity-insurance-tax-agents

What are the risk factors?

  • Errors and discrepancies on Tax Returns.
  • Late lodgement of documentation.
  • Failure to provide promised services.
  • Negligence in rendering professional services



*As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. The information contained on this web page is general only and should not be relied upon as advice.

Did you Know?

The Tax Practitioners Board (TPB) requires Registered Tax Agents to have Professional Indemnity insurance.

3 things to consider when purchasing a Professional Indemnity policy

Find a provider that:

  1. Understands the coverage needs of Tax Agents.
  2. Is recognised by the Tax Practitioners Board.
  3. Consider a policy that offers unlimited retroactive cover to protect you for all past work

Very happy with ease of use and with the clarity in which I could compare competitors products and conditions.

Aaron W
Registered Tax Agent

Efficient, extremely easy to use and very competitive pricing.

Derek C
Registered Tax Agent

I think Bizcover is a fantastic business which I have now used for many years and find it easy, efficient, convenient and straight forward.

Jack G
Registered Tax Agent

Good communications, comparison of alternatives, fair prices, easy to navigate website. Overall very satisfied!

John M
Registered Tax Agent

I was impressed with how easy the website was to use and would definitely recommend Bizcover to anyone needing business insurance

Susan G
Registered Tax Agent

Simple, quick and clear

Spiro T
Registered Tax Agent

Popular Searches