Our office is closed on 25 April 2018. We are back to normal hours on 26 April 2018.

1300 249 268 Call

Why do Personal Trainers and Fitness Professionals need it?

Give that kettlebell a rest and get personal about your insurance. With just a few clicks or a single phone call, BizCover can get your business in shape with multiple quotes from leading insurers. Select your preferred policy and you’ll be covered before you can say ‘workout of the day’.

Did you Know?

As a fitness professional operating a business, you require permission from your local council if conducting exercise sessions in outdoor areas.

Insurance for Personal Trainers and Fitness Professionals

Professional Indemnity

As a personal trainer it’s your job to create unique exercise plans that will help your client reach their fitness goals. In doing so you are providing advice in relation to their particular needs. Mistakes happen, accusations can be thrown around, and claims are made, whether rightly or wrongly. Professional Indemnity insurance protects you against financial losses you incur for any action taken against you for a variety of reasons, including:

  • Personal injury claims as a result of negligence of the personal trainer
  • Creating training plans that are unsuitable or ineffective
  • Providing wrong or misleading advice in relation to dietary plans and food preparation
  • Claims arising from inappropriate behaviour (includes cover for defence costs, however costs relating to damages are excluded)

Public Liability

Public Liability is a must to ensure your business stays fighting fit should an unwanted accident occur. In fact, it’s likely a requirement for you to provide your own insurance if you are contracted to a gym or fitness studio, or for obtaining council permits for working in public outdoor spaces.

Public Liability insurance will protect you from financial losses arising from a claim of accidental injury to third parties. For example, say a client trips over a piece of fitness equipment and fractures their wrist, you could be held liable for the cost of their medical expenses, as well as any loss of income as a result of taking time off work to recover. Public Liability will also protect you against third-party property damage if you or your clients cause any accidental damage.

Business Insurance

If you own expensive fitness equipment then it might be worth considering Business Insurance to cover against loss, damage or theft.  It can also provide cover for any stock that you carry, such as supplements and protein bars etc.

Personal Accident and Illness

Your body is your business. If you were to injure yourself or fall ill it’s highly likely you’d need to take time off work to recover, which may also mean taking a break from earning an income. No matter how fit you are, accidents can still happen. Personal Accident and Illness insurance can help by paying you a benefit if you are unable to work temporarily due to an accident or illness, so you can stress less about paying essential bills until you’re back on your feet.

3 questions to ask yourself when buying insurance

  1. Do you create custom training plans for your clients in accordance with their body type or health condition? Do you provide advice in regards to dietary plans and modifications?
  2. Does your place of work require you to hold a minimum amount of Public Liability insurance? Or if you work outdoors, does your council permit require you to have insurance?
  3. How would you keep on paying your bills and day-to-day living expenses if you had to take time off work to recover from injury or illness?

Could this happen to your business?

Bootcamp hazard

A lady attending her regular bootcamp session tripped over a tyre that was used as a corner-point in an exercise course, sustaining serious injuries to both of her elbows. Unfortunately she had to take time off work to recover which resulted in a loss of income. The lady lodged a claim against the personal trainer for negligence as they failed to warn her of the hazard which she was exposed to.

The wrong advice

A middle-aged man on a health kick enlisted the help of a personal trainer. The personal trainer who had little experience ordered him to perform a particular exercise that was inappropriate for the man’s age and physical ability. The man suffered a severe spinal injury and had to undergo surgery on his back. He sued the trainer for negligence and breach of his duty of care for prescribing an unsafe and unsuitable training programme.

Always easy to use the website and any contact has been fantastic and very positive. Thanks for making things so simple and affordable

Nathan Oliver
Personal Training & Fitness

Super easy, uncomplicated and exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Joshua Dittmer
Personal Training & Fitness

Once I found the web site arranging insurance was easy

Lynn Brayshaw
Personal Training & Fitness

Very easy to use website. Found what I needed straight away and was able to sign up for a new policy with a few easy steps.

Amy Collins
Personal Training & Fitness

The process of acquiring PL Insurance was extremely convenient and efficient, and very affordable.

Malcolm Yates
Personal Training & Fitness

Popular Searches