Building insurance covers the cost of repairing or rebuilding the business premises (that you own) as a result of fire, storm and other perils specified in the policy.

Did you know?

You are still required to take reasonable precautions for the care, safety, protection and maintenance of your property. If you do not, the insurer may reduce the amount that they pay in relation to a claim.

What’s typically covered?

  • Business owned premises
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Services to the building
  • Structural Improvements including fencing, gates, roadways and paths

What’s typically NOT covered?

  • Machinery
  • Land
  • Dams
  • Bridges
  • Canals
  • Tunnels
  • Railway tracks
  • Wharves
  • Docks and piers
*As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. The information contained on this web page is general only and should not be relied upon as advice.

Things to consider

Building insurance is generally applicable if you are the owner of the business premises, in which case an assessor may be brought in to conduct a valuation of the property. If you are a tenanted business owner, it may not be appropriate or make sense to choose this cover as an option.