Home Based Business Insurance

  • Trusted by over 220,000 small businesses
  • Competitive pricing with our Price Promise
  • Compare quotes instantly from some of Australia’s leading insurers

Compare quotes from our trusted insurance partners:

Why do Home Based Businesses need insurance?

Just because you don’t have a typical office or working space doesn’t mean things can’t go wrong. Whether you’re working in administration, running an online store or working as a web developer, every occupation comes with its own level of risks. Click, compare and save with BizCover and get cover from some of Australia’s top insurers to protect your home-based business today.

We cover many types of home businesses

  • Administrative support services
  • Answering & reception services
  • Beautician
  • Consultants
  • Dog walking
  • Dog grooming
  • Graphic designer
  • Hair dresser
  • Online shops
  • Photographer
  • Writers
  • Web developer

What types of insurance do home businesses typically consider?

Public Liability

One of the basic insurances to consider is Public Liability insurance. Public Liability insurance is designed to provide protection* for you and your business in the event a customer, supplier or a member of the public are injured or sustain property damage as a result of your negligent business activities.

Meaning if you have clients visit your home based office or if you go off site to visit them that you have protection in place if you were to accidently cause injury to them or damage to their personal property.

Cyber Liability

Take the time to consider the consequences if the client data you had stored was compromised. The impact could be devastating to your business.

Cyber liability insurance is a type of business insurance product, which protects your business against both the legal costs and expenses (including compensation payments) related to cybercrime incidents. Your coverage may generally include cover for expenses and legal costs relating to the following:

  • Data breaches
  • Theft or loss of client information
  • Business interruption costs
  • Forensic investigation
  • Data recovery
  • Extortion
  • Fines and penalties
  • Crisis management costs (to restore your businesses reputation after an attack or data breach)
  • Legal costs from any ensuing civil action taken against you or your company

Personal Accident & Illness

When you’re self-employed, you need to make sure you have protection for your most valuable asset, you. This is where Personal Accident and Illness insurance comes into play, especially when you don’t have access to sick leave.

Personal Accident and Illness insurance can provide cover should you become permanently disabled or pass away as a result of an accident. Cover can also include a weekly benefit for loss of income if you are unable to work as a result of an unexpected injury or illness (even if it occurs outside of your employment).

If you have purchased sickness/illness cover as part of your personal accident insurance you may be able to claim if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 and that diagnosis results in you being unable to work. Your cover will need to have been in place before you contracted the disease. 

Employment Practices Liability

Employment Practices Liability (EPL) Insurance is designed to help employers minimise the risk and potential cost of claims taken against them by employees. Covered claims may relate to allegations of discrimination, unfair dismissal and sexual or workplace harassment.

Business Insurance

Options include:


Having a home based business means there are certain business assets that you will require to perform your day job. Contents insurance provides cover for loss of or damage to items such as business equipment, stock, plant and machinery, records and furniture belonging to you at the insured location.

Portable Equipment

If you are on the road and need items like your laptop, tools and equipment to perform your profession, then consider protecting your items with Portable Equipment cover.

Portal Equipment insurance (also known as General Property insurance) covers you for loss and damage to items of portable equipment associated with your business. These can include tools of trade and items of stock.

Not what you are after? Explore our other business products

Not sure what kind of small business insurance to get?

Customer Reviews

Rated 4.6/5 for Customer Experience

*As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy document. The information contained on this webpage is general only and should not be relied upon as advice.

Popular Searches