Painter’s licence requirements by state in Australia

Are you keen to get your painter’s licence? Wondering what the requirements are?

The painting industry might be one of the roles clients constantly desire for a fresh coat of paint on their property or require extra assistance on their projects. Whether you are considering moving states across Australia or you want to get your painter’s licence, it may be essential to understand the conditions each state requires when obtaining one.

Each state in Australia has different painter licence requirements, and with the correct prerequisites, you might become a certified painter and start working on projects in no time!

Read more to find the painter licence requirements by state:

New South Wales

The Department of Fair Trading NSW issues licences in NSW, and it is required to have one before doing any work on residential buildings valued at more than $5,000 (including GST) in materials and labour.

Painter registration in NSW requires the following:

One of the following qualifications:

  • CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
  • BCG30498 Certificate III in General Construction (Painting & Decorating) TAFE
  • CPC30611 / CPC30608 / BCG3063 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
  • Certificate III in Painting and Decorating, Trade TAFE course #5129
  • Qualification 11766 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating TAFE course #2155


To issue a painter’s licence in Queensland, you might consider completing particular certificates and a course in Business Management. If you are planning to take work valued at $3,300 and above, it may be essential to consider getting your licence before any big projects.

You may also be required to meet the following:

  • RPL certificate of recognition
  • CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
  • Experience from an apprenticeship in painting and decorating
  • Have a statement of attainment for all required competencies

Once you have met the painter licence requirements, you can apply for it at the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.


The state of Victoria does not issue painter licences. However, you might consider registering  under a Domestic Builder Licence (DB-L) class to qualify as a tradesperson to advertise and conduct paintwork. Having a painter registration in Victoria may allow you to become an independent tradesperson.

If you aim to work on projects over the value of $5,000. To become a qualified painter in Victoria, you may need:

  • To have completed an apprenticeship
  • Completed CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating

South Australia

South Australia does not issue any painter licences. However, they suggest you have a building work contractors licence given under the Government’s Consumer Builder Services (CBS).

To apply for a building work contractor licence, you might be required:

  • CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
  • You might also want to apply with an RPL recognised qualification
  • Submitting a National Police Check (no more than 12 months old)

Western Australia

If you are considering becoming a registered painter in Western Australia and plan to work on projects valued at over $1,000, you might be required to become a registered painting contractor. Another licence would be a registered painting practitioner, where you may be nominated as a supervisor under a contractor, but you might not provide any painting services to the public.

To obtain these licences from the Building Services Board, you may have:

  • Completed CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
  • Have also completed BSBSMB401 Establish Legal and Risk Management Requirements for Small Business
  • Fulfilled CPCCBCC4004A Identify and Produce Estimated Costs for Building and Construction Projects or any equivalent qualifications
  • 52202 Course in Painters’ Registration or any other equivalent qualification
  • Minimum of 5 years experience in paintwork with recognition of prior learning (RPL) recognition


Painters in Tasmania may not be required to carry a licence. Instead, they are encouraged to have insurance, an Australian Business Number (ABN) and a business licence.

To be recognised as a qualified painter by professional trade organisations, you may be recommended to obtain a CPC30620 Certificate III in Painting and Decorating or RPL equivalent qualification.

Whether you are new to the painting industry or an experienced painter, your career may be at risk when working at various heights and locations. Insurance for painters is suggested to ensure you and your business are covered and protected from unfortunate risks and scenarios. You may want to consider Public Liability Insurance to cover your painting business in the event that a customer, supplier or member of the public is injured or sustains property damage as a result of your negligent business activities. Painters may also benefit from Personal Accident and Illness Insurance to provide cover should they become permanently disabled or pass away due to an accident.

With BizCover, we can assist you by comparing multiple quotes online in just minutes, it’ll be quicker than waiting for that new coat to dry!

This information is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It should not be relied upon as advice. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording.
© 2022 BizCover Pty Limited, all rights reserved. ABN 68 127 707 975; AFSL 501769

Compare multiple quotes online in minutes

Compare FREE quotes

Compare multiple quotes online in minutes

Trusted by over 220,000 Australian small businesses.

Compare FREE quotes

Popular Searches