How to get your trade contractor licence in Queensland

If you work in the building and construction industry in Queensland, or plan to do so in the near future, there is a good chance that you will need to hold a relevant Queensland contractor licence to legally practice your trade services.

Trade contractor licences in Queensland are governed and administered by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC). As the building and construction regulator in Queensland, the QBCC determines who can and can’t get a QBCC licence and who can start a contracting business in the Sunshine State.

Do you need a trade contractor licence in Queensland?

Before you apply for a trade contractor licence in Queensland, it’s worth double checking that you actually need one. You will need to obtain your trade contractor licence from QBCC if you intend to perform work that meets the following criteria:

  • Building work costing more than $3,300.
  • Building work costing $1,100 that requires hydraulics services design.
  • Building of any value that requires any of the following services: drainage, plumbing and drainage, gas fitting, termite management (chemical), fire protection, completed residential building inspection, or building (low rise, medium rise, and open Site Classification).

Choosing your Queensland trade contractor licence

Before you apply for your Queensland trade contractor licence, you need to decide which specific licence will be most appropriate for the type of work you intend to perform. This is important, because the QBCC offers more than 80 different licence types for individuals working in building and construction in Queensland.

You can help narrow down the list of 80 by considering these three key points:

  • What building and construction role do you want to target?
  • What will be the scope of work you will undertake or be responsible for?
  • Will you be able to meet all the eligibility requirements for your nominated licence type?

Applying for your Queensland trade contractor licence

Before you start filling in the application form, it’s worth noting that to obtain a QBCC licence you will need to be either an Australian Citizen, a Permanent Resident of Australia, or hold a current Australian Work Visa.

To apply for your Queensland contractor licence, download, print, complete, and submit your trade contractor licence application. The application form can be found via the QBCC website. This form can be used to apply for all QBCC licence classes except for the following classes: builder, mechanical services, fire, and hydraulics and design.

As part of your application for a Queensland contractor licence you will need to provide evidence that you hold the technical qualifications required for the licence class you are applying for.

Finally, your completed Queensland trade contractor form needs to be returned with all required supporting documents by post to GPO Box 5099 Brisbane QLD 4001, or in person at your nearest QBCC service centre.

As a busy contractor, you are constantly moving from one job to the next. However, when it comes to securing your business insurance such as public liability insurance in Queensland and tradie insurance*, there will be no headaches when you choose to secure your business insurance with BizCover. Get a public liability insurance quote in Queensland today or call us on 1300 920 864 for a chat.

*This information is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It should not be relied upon as advice. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. © 2022 BizCover Pty Limited, all rights reserved. ABN 68 127 707 975; AFSL 501769

Compare multiple quotes online in minutes

Compare FREE quotes

Compare multiple quotes online in minutes

Trusted by over 220,000 Australian small businesses.

Compare FREE quotes

Popular Searches