Compare quotes from our trusted insurance partners*:
What is Public Liability insurance?
Public Liability insurance is designed to provide protection for you and your business in the event a customer, supplier or a member of the public brings a claim against you due to their being injured or sustaining property damage as a result of your negligent business activities.
As a small business owner in Queensland, you already have a lot to worry about. From paying your employees, to getting stock delivered on time and generating new business – it’s a never-ending list!
The last thing you want to have to worry about it the impact of an unexpected claim to your Queensland business. Whether you’re a hairdresser in Port Douglas, a brickie in Ipswich or a restaurant owner in Noosa, Public Liability is there to help protect your business.
What is covered by Public Liability insurance in Queensland?
A Public Liability policy can provide essential cover for your Queensland business:
- Personal injury suffered by a third party (e.g. a customer, supplier or member of the public) due to your negligent business activities
- Damage to property owned by a third party due to your negligent business activities
Public Liability insurance also provides cover for the compensation payments to a third party and legal costs associated with the claim (including defence costs).
What if a customer is injured after tripping on a box you didn’t put away or your employee damages a client’s antique property? A Public Liability insurance policy will help give you peace of mind.
What isn’t covered?
Public Liability insurance typically does not cover events such as:
- Injuries to your employees
- Damage to your own property
- Costs of rectifying faulty workmanship
- Professional negligence
- Contractual liability
- Events occurring before or after the policy period
Who may consider Public Liability insurance in QLD?
Queensland business owners may consider Public Liability insurance for many reasons. If you’re unsure if this cover is right for your small business, it may help to ask yourself these questions:
- Do any of your contracts require a minimum level of Public Liability cover?
- Has your industry body set a minimum level of Public Liability cover for membership?
- Does your business or trade licence require a minimum amount of Public Liability cover?
- What kind of accidents could occur due to your business operations and what could be the potential cost of a claim?
There are many types of small businesses that often consider Public Liability cover in QLD, including:
- Trades, Construction & Service – From chippies and sparkies to cleaners and decorators, Public Liability can provide important protection against third-party claims.
- Retailers – Protect your business against claims brought by customers, suppliers, delivery people, and other members of the public.
- Hospitality – You may need Public Liability cover for your restaurant, café, food truck, or other dining and hospitality business.
- Professionals – Many professional service providers—such as real estate agents, marketing consultants, IT providers, and music teachers—consider cover to protect their businesses.
Compare Public Liability insurance for QLD sole traders and small businesses today!
How much does Public Liability cost in QLD?
Small businesses in Queensland pay an average of $34 per month* for Public Liability insurance. However, the amount you pay may vary.
Every business is unique and has its own level of risk. Your premium is based on many factors, such as the type of business you run or your occupation, the size of your business (annual revenue), and the amount of cover you require.
When you compare Public Liability insurance from different insurers, you can get a clearer idea of how much cover will cost for your business.
Get instant Public Liability quotes online or over the phone in minutes!
Why choose BizCover for your QLD Public Liability insurance?
Built for small business
We know insurance and what makes small businesses tick
Clear and competitive pricing
You can compare and choose from a range of highly competitive prices right there on your screen. Seriously.
Cover to match your needs
You can tailor policies from selected Australian insurers to suit the needs of your business, and we are there to help!
Real people adding real value
Our friendly service team is on hand and on a mission to make you smile!
Frequently Asked Questions on QLD Public Liability Insurance
Electrical contractors in Queensland must have Public Liability insurance to receive, maintain, and renew a licence. By law, electrical contractors must have a minimum of $5 million in Public and Product Liability insurance, and $50,000 in consumer protection insurance.
You may be asked to provide proof of insurance for auditing purposes, when signing a contract to work with a client, or to lease commercial space for your business.
Public Liability insurance does not cover professional services, such as mistakes or errors in your work, missed deadlines, breaches of contract or claims of negligence. Professional Indemnity insurance can help you cover yourself for these types of events and more.
When you purchase a Public Liability policy through BizCover, you can get a certificate of currency at any time. Simply log in to your account to download a copy whenever you need to show proof of your Public Liability or other business insurance policies.
Not what you are after? Explore our other business products
Rated 4.6/5 for Customer Experience
Very easy to navigate and fully covered in less than 5 minutes!
Registered Migration Agent
I love the convenience of it! The annual reminder to renew and the ease of doing so just takes away one less worry for me.
Very nice customer service
Quick and easy, Took the hassle out of shopping around and comparing
Trades & Services
Quick and easy cover. Done online in around 10 minutes!
Love it! Quick, simple, yet professional
Some of the best service I have had over the phone.
This information is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It should not be relied upon as advice. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording.
© 2023 BizCover Pty Limited, all rights reserved. ABN 68 127 707 975; AFSL 501769