Workers Compensation Insurance*

Workers Compensation insurance is a compulsory form of insurance that employers are required to take out to protect their employees.  Workers Compensation insurance is designed to cover an employee’s loss of wages, medical and rehabilitation expenses for work-related injuries or illnesses. Lump sum benefits may also be available if an employee dies or is permanently impaired as a result of their work.

Safe Work Australia (SWA) (an Australian government statutory body) develop national protocols relating to work, health and safety (WHS) and workers compensation. Although SWA is a national body, they do not regulate or enforce WHS laws or any workers compensation scheme – this is the responsibility of each of the states and territories to monitor and enforce

Each State and Territory regulates the cost of workers compensation insurance based on their own formulas, but generally, the cost of your Workers Compensation policy is calculated on:

  • Your business type;
  • Number of employees;
  • Classification of employees;
  • Wages paid to your employees; and
  • Claims history.

Did you know?

  • The standard time someone requires off work when they are injured is 5 weeks
  • In 2011 SWA confirmed that nationwide 59% of serious workers compensation claims were classified as sprains, strains and MSD (musculoskeletal disorders) injuries and
  • 51% of serious workers compensation claims were caused by employees being hit by moving objects resulting in injuries to the upper limbs1

As Workers Compensation is regulated by each State and Territory, each scheme has its own rules, regulations and legislative framework. BizCover is not licenced to provide Workers Compensation insurance, but you can find out more about each of the schemes by visiting the links below:

NSW icare is currently the sole provider or Workers Compensation insurance in New South Wales
Workers Compensation claims are managed by five different claims agents, appointed by WorkSafe Victoria.
Workers Compensation insurance in QLD is government owned and is underwritten by Work Cover Queensland
ACT!tabs-4 then
SA Workers Compensation claims are handled by two claims agents- Employers Mutual and Gallagher Bassett,
The information in this article is general only and should not be relied upon as advice. BizCover is unable to organise workers compensation insurance due to the specialised licensing requirements involved.


1-Australian Workers’ Compensation Statistics. 2011. Safe Work Australia. [ONLINE] Available at: [Accessed 13 April 2018].

Popular Searches