Why do Restaurants & Cafes need it?
Take a minute to sit back, relax and look at our menu of insurance options for your business. What’s more, you don’t need to shop around to find the best cover solutions. With BizCover, you’ll get multiple competitive quotes from leading insurers within minutes.
Did you Know?
Public Liability Insurance: The average level of cover our customers take for their restaurant and cafe business is 10 million dollars.
Insurance for Restaurants & Cafes
There is no end to the list of possible accidents that could happen in the restaurant environment, and you need to protect your business from any potential claims. These could arise from a waiter dropping hot food on a customer, to a customer slipping on a melted ice-block on the floor, or a supplier tripping on the plastic mat in the prep area, and even unthinkable issues like broken teeth being found in food (true story). Yuck!
Food poisoning is also a huge risk for restaurants and cafes – imagine the risk to brand reputation and impact on trading from a food poisoning incident – a dodgy piece of fish or a bout of salmonella could turn your cash cow into curdled milk!
Even though you can’t insure the ambience you have created in your restaurant, you can insure the building and all its contents:
- Building – if you own the building you will want to be able to rebuild or restore quickly. Water damage (pipes burst) or fire (in the kitchen) is a high risk area.
- Contents – protection for damage to your chairs, tables and other fittings.
- Machinery breakdown – if you depend on your fridges to keep food fresh you will want to ensure you have cover for them. You can even get an extension to cover loss of stock – so if your fridge motor burnt out and your food was spoiled you can include the cost of these items in your claim.
- Business interruption – continuity is important in a restaurant. What happens if there are major power outages? Not just immediate impact of days of trading but also potential loss of custom from customers who don’t return.
If you have employees in your restaurant, you’ll need to cover all your (pizza) bases!
- Ensuring fair treatment in all areas of business is important e.g. protection against bullying and harassment, discrimination and unfair dismissal, EPA Fines.
- OH&S is also an important part of running a restaurant – management liability provides cover for this.
- Correct disposal of waste and garbage is important for small businesses and like all restaurants you will be dealing with grease – if a team member inadvertently disposed of this incorrectly you could be fined.
- While we like to think of all employees as good people, theft in small business is commonplace. Management liability protects against such instances.
As a restaurant owner you have enough to keep you busy day and night. Take the stress out of an ATO investigation with this insurance.
As a restaurant owner your exposure could be at the payment desk – with your eftpos machine hacked.
A busy restaurant in the city had an off day and served some fish that wasn’t quite right. It resulted in five of their loyal customers being poisoned and becoming violently ill! They were each paid out $20,000 for their medical treatment and damages.
Power cut palaver
A pro-longed power outage whilst the shop was shut caused the stock of a local fish and chips shop to be ruined (including food, ice creams and drinks). The clients claim was settled for $2,373. Less the $500 discount, the client received $1,873.
3 questions to ask yourself when buying insurance
- Does the cover comply with current legislation in the state or territory in which your work? For example, the NSW Government requires all licensees under the Property, Stock and Business Agents Act 2002 hold a minimum of $1 million Professional Indemnity insurance, with a number of set policy inclusions. Click here to view the legislation that’s relevant to you.
- Is the policy inclusive of costs or exclusive of costs? With a ‘costs inclusive’ policy, legal costs and damages are insured as one sum insured – ‘costs exclusive’ means that the two are insured separately
- What other areas of your business need protection, i.e. your clients and their property, your business assets, and your confidential data?
Customer service was outstanding
This makes my life so easy I would recommend Biz cover to anyone
Lynda and James Shortis
Wow, so easy. I was shocked. Thank you! My time precious at the moment.
I have gone through Bizcover to insure two of my businesses which I have found easy to do on line and not having a lot of time to waste on phone calls I find it convenient and time saving.
Quick, simple and painless. The way everything should be.
I found them most professional. They were the cheapest for my business cover. I would recommend them to other businesses and would definitely buy from them again. They helped me choose what was the best cover for me.