Insurance for Restaurants & Cafes
- Trusted by over 150,000 small businesses
- Choose from a range of covers, including Glass and Machinery Breakdown
- Competitive Prices with our Price Promise
Business insurance for restaurants and cafes covers things like accidental injury or damage to a member of the public, protecting your valuable business assets and other vital areas that keep your business running.
Why do Restaurants & Cafes need Insurance?
Whether you’re serving up the best chai lattes or pizzas in town, business insurance is something every restaurant and café owner needs to consider. Your food business interacts with people every day from customers to suppliers, creating the potential opportunity for unwanted accidents to occur.
With the appropriate types of business insurance in place, you are not only being a responsible food business owner, but you are helping to safeguard your restaurant or café from the financial and reputational damage a claim can cause.
Take a minute to sit back, relax and look at our menu of insurance options for your business. What’s more, you don’t need to shop around to find the best cover solutions. With BizCover, you’ll get multiple competitive quotes from leading insurers within minutes.
Did you Know?
Public Liability Insurance: The average level of cover our customers take for their restaurant and cafe business is 10 million dollars.
Insurance for Restaurants & Cafes
Public Liability Insurance*
There is no end to the list of possible accidents that could happen in the restaurant environment, and you need to protect your business from any potential claims. These could arise from a waiter dropping hot food on a customer, to a customer slipping on a melted ice-block on the floor, or a supplier tripping on the plastic mat in the prep area, and even unthinkable issues like broken teeth being found in food (true story). Yuck!
Food poisoning is also a huge risk for restaurants and cafes – imagine the risk to brand reputation and impact on trading from a food poisoning incident – a dodgy piece of fish or a bout of salmonella could turn your cash cow into curdled milk!
What is typically included?
- personal injury suffered by a third party (e.g., a customer, supplier, or member of the public)
- damage to property owned by a third party due to your negligent business activities
- legal and defence costs associated with a covered
What is typically not covered?
- Injuries to your employees
- Damage to your own property
- Costs of rectifying faulty workmanship
- Professional negligence
- Contractual liability
- Events occurring before or after the policy
Even though you can’t insure the ambience you have created in your restaurant, you can insure the building and all its contents:
- Building – if you own the building you will want to be able to rebuild or restore quickly. Water damage (pipes burst) or fire (in the kitchen) is a high risk area.
- Contents – protection for damage to your chairs, tables and other fittings.
- Machinery breakdown – if you depend on your fridges to keep food fresh you will want to ensure you have cover for them. You can even get an extension to cover loss of stock – so if your fridge motor burnt out and your food was spoiled you can include the cost of these items in your claim.
- Business interruption – continuity is important in a restaurant. What happens if there are major power outages? Not just immediate impact of days of trading but also potential loss of custom from customers who don’t return.
If you have employees in your restaurant, you’ll need to cover all your (pizza) bases!
- Ensuring fair treatment in all areas of business is important e.g. protection against bullying and harassment, discrimination and unfair dismissal, EPA Fines.
- OH&S is also an important part of running a restaurant – management liability provides cover for this.
- Correct disposal of waste and garbage is important for small businesses and like all restaurants you will be dealing with grease – if a team member inadvertently disposed of this incorrectly you could be fined.
- While we like to think of all employees as good people, theft in small business is commonplace. Management liability protects against such instances.
As a restaurant owner you have enough to keep you busy day and night. Take the stress out of an ATO investigation with this insurance.
As a restaurant owner your exposure could be at the payment desk – with your eftpos machine hacked.
How much does Restaurant and Cafe Insurance cost?
No matter if you are a takeaway food business or a fine dining restaurant, no two food businesses are the same. That’s why there isn’t a stock-standard price of business insurance for restaurants and cafes. When calculating the price of your policy, there are a variety of factors which are taken into consideration.
Some of these may include:
- The size of your business
- How many staff you have?
- The type of food business you are running
- The type of coverage you take out
- Your excess
- The level of cover
- Your claims history
- Location of your business
Why choose BizCover for your restaurant and cafe insurance?
Australia’s No.1 online insurance business
The trophy cabinet is filling up, but we take more pride in the 160,000 small businesses we have helped already… and counting.
Clear and competitive pricing
You can compare and choose from a range of competitive prices right there on your screen. Seriously.
Built for small business
We know insurance and what makes small businesses tick.
We won’t bore you with jargon
We’re not fans of complicated insurance speak, so we talk to you in plain English.
Could this happen to your business?
A busy restaurant in the city had an off day and served some fish that wasn’t quite right. It resulted in five of their loyal customers being poisoned and becoming violently ill! They were each paid out $20,000 for their medical treatment and damages.
Power cut palaver
A pro-longed power outage whilst the shop was shut caused the stock of a local fish and chips shop to be ruined (including food, ice creams and drinks). The clients claim was settled for $2,373. Less the $500 discount, the client received $1,873.
Watch BizCover customer, Nick Black, an entrepreneurial chef with qualifications in environmental science who is harvesting nature’s bounty and supplying restaurants in South East Queensland.
Frequently Asked Questions
A way to try and figure out what type of business insurances your food business may need is by understanding the types of risks that your business is exposed to.
Public Liability insurance is typically one of the main types of business insurances restaurants and cafes may need to consider. There are also other types of business insurances like Contents, Building, Tax Audit and Cyber Liability that are there to help protect the things that help keep your business running every day.
Product Liability insurance is often included in your Public Liability insurance policy, but it is always worth double checking with your insurer to make sure you are covered.
Product Liability insurance protects your business against claims by third parties relating to property
damage or personal injury caused by your products.
If you are part of your food business then you may want to consider ensuring you have cover for Product Liability with your Public Liability insurance.
Some of the factors that you need to think about when calculating what level of Public Liability insurance your food business needs include things like:
- Is there a minimum level of cover that may be required in a contract or in your rental agreement from your landlord?
- If your business is growing fast, you may want to make sure your level of cover is reviewed regularly
Rated 4.6/5 for Customer Experience
Customer service was outstanding
This makes my life so easy I would recommend BizCover to anyone
Lynda and James S
Wow, so easy. I was shocked. Thank you! My time precious at the moment.
I have gone through BizCover to insure two of my businesses which I have found easy to do online and not having a lot of time to waste on phone calls I find it convenient and time saving.
Quick, simple and painless. The way everything should be.
Prefer to talk?
Call us and talk to a real person.
Friendly, helpful service from a business insurance professional.
1300 249 268
* This information is a general guide only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording. The information contained on this web page is general only and should not be relied upon as advice.