Earthmoving and Excavators Insurance

  • Public Liability and Tool cover
  • Pay by the month and policy documents emailed instantly
  • Trusted by over 220,000 Australian small businesses

Compare quotes from our trusted insurance partners:

What is earthmoving insurance?

Earthmoving contractors and excavation businesses are a vital part of Australia’s construction industry. But building hazards and everyday business risks could bulldoze your finances. Business insurance designed especially for earthmoving and excavation companies could give you peace of mind and help you keep building something great!

Did you know?

Public Liability* insurance is a common form of coverage in the construction industry. It may also be a requirement to lease a workshop or warehouse space for your small business.

Why do earthmoving contractors need insurance?

Construction can be a dangerous field, especially for earthmovers and excavators. Working with large machinery is tough enough, but it can be even harder to handle in less-than-ideal conditions.

Night work, glare from the sun, bad weather, sloping ground and slippery surfaces are just a few of the risky situations you might need to navigate. While you’re probably taking all the necessary precautions, things can still go wrong. A simple accident or mistake could cause a client or other third party to seek damages from you.

This is where excavator and earthmoving insurance can help. Instead of paying costly claims and lawsuits from your own pocket, your insurance could cover the losses for you. Plus, you can also get coverage to protect your offices and warehouse, portable tools, and other parts of your business.

What does earthmoving insurance cover?

Earthmoving contractors and excavators often consider insurance that covers a variety of risks they are likely to face on the job, such as:

  • Third-party property damage
  • Third-party bodily injury
  • Their business premises and contents
  • Tools of the trade
  • Business equipment

Keep reading to learn more about the insurance options available for earthmovers and excavators and how to quickly and easily compare policies for your small business.

Who needs earthmoving and excavator insurance?

Insurance for earthmovers and excavators can benefit different types of businesses, including:

  • Sole traders
  • Self-employed business owners
  • Excavation and earthmoving contractors
  • Construction contractors and businesses

BizCover makes it easy to cover your small business. Compare earthmover insurance quotes online and get covered instantly—no dramas!

Earthmoving insurance types

There are many types of insurance for earthmovers and excavators that you might consider for your business. Here’s an overview of some popular ones:

Public Liability*

Public Liability insurance is a common insurance coverage for all types of businesses. It covers legal fees and compensation costs if a customer, supplier or another member of the public claims your negligent business activity caused them injury or damage to their property. Policies typically provide coverage even if the claims made against you are unfounded.

Earthmoving Public Liability may be a requirement before you even set foot on a construction site. Many clients may not hire you as an excavator or earthmoving contractor if you don’t have a policy. It may also be a requirement to lease commercial office or warehouse space where you can run your business and store your tools and equipment.

Business Insurance*

A lot can go wrong when you run an excavation and earthmoving business. You might decide to buy a Business Insurance package that conveniently covers a variety of common risks, from your stock and tools to your commercial buildings and their contents.

Business Insurance packages can be customised to include many types of coverage, such as:


If you own the building from where you operate your business, Building Insurance covers you for damage to the building caused by fire, storm and other perils listed within the policy wording.

This coverage could be handy if you own a warehouse where you store your tools and equipment or an office building when admin work is done. Your Building Insurance coverage will also cover damage caused by vandalism or break-ins.


Contents Insurance covers losses or damage to items such as business equipment, stock, plant and machinery, records and furniture belonging to you at the insured location.

This coverage is useful for protecting many of the items you need to get your work done. Your policy includes damage or losses caused by a fire, storm, or malicious activity, as defined by your policy wording.

Portable Equipment*

Portable Equipment insurance (also known as General Property insurance) covers you for loss and damage to items of portable equipment associated with your business.

This coverage helps protect items such as your tools of the trade and stock items. Policies typically cover damage or losses caused by fire, storm, water, or explosion. It may also include accidental damage, malicious damage, and theft of items from a locked building or vehicle.

Why choose BizCover for Earthmoving Insurance?

Built for small business

We know insurance and what makes small businesses tick.

Clear and competitive pricing

You can compare and choose from a range of highly competitive prices right there on your screen.  Seriously.

Cover to match your needs

You can tailor policies from selected Australian insurers to suit the needs of your business, and we are there to help!

Real people adding real value

Our friendly service team is on hand and on a mission to make you smile!

Customer reviews

Rated 4.6/5 for Customer Experience

*This information is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It should not be relied upon as advice. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording.
© 2022 BizCover Pty Limited, all rights reserved.
ABN 68 127 707 975; AFSL 501769

Popular Searches