Cover Options for Bushfire-Proofing Your Business

If you want to keep your business financially safe from bushfires, check out these options that cover different areas of your business.

Cover Option What it typically covers What’s typically NOT covered?
  • Buildings owned by the named insured
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Services to the building
  • Structural Improvements including fencing, gates, roadways and paths
  • Contents
  • Machinery
  • Land
  • Dams
  • Bridges
  • Canals
  • Tunnels
  • Railway tracks
  • Wharves
  • Docks and piers
  • Trading stock
  • Your fixtures and fittings (if you are a tenant)
  • Business furniture
  • Machinery, plant and equipment
  • Documents of title, business books and other records
  • Goods held by you on consignment
  • Buildings
  • Money, security documents or stamps
  • Motor vehicles
  • Explosives
  • Animals or crops
  • External glass breakage
  • Destruction of stock or contents (caused by broken glass that constitutes a claim)
  • Signs made of glass or plastic which forms part of an illuminated sign
  • Costs for after-hours service, express delivery and overtime by repairers
  • Repair or replacement for glass:
  • Which is stock
  • Which is in poor condition (eg. chipped) when the period of cover commences
  • Which is part of a greenhouse, computer screen, vase, television screen, radio, conservatory, or is damaged in transit
Portable Equipment Specified portable equipment can include items such as:

  • Mobile plant
  • Photographic or video equipment
  • Mobile communication equipment, including telephones and radios
  • Electronic equipment, including computers, diaries, GPS units
  • Accessories for the items listed above
Business Interruption (Cover for your financial losses)
  • Business Interruption cover provides protection for the loss of income and increased costs of operating your business caused by a specified insured event like a bushfire.
  • Including cover for
    • Loss of turnover due to damage to your own
    • Additional costs of working
  • Undocumented income
  • Losses due to labour strikes and changes in legislation
  • Losses beyond the indemnity period
  • Voluntary closures
  • Losses due to breakdown in equipment or machinery

Ensure you have adequate cover

Not having enough cover could leave your business exposed if you need to make a claim. Your insurer will only cover you up to your policy limit. That means you might end up having to dig into your own pockets to cover any extra costs for repairs or replacements. This could really hit your business hard, especially if you’re facing a major loss that goes beyond what your policy covers.

When reviewing your cover limits here are some things you should consider.

  • What is the current value of your business assets, does your current limit cover this?
  • What changes have taken place since you last looked at your policy?
  • Have you purchased more valuable contents, equipment or machinery?
  • Have you made renovations to your building?
  • Would you be able to continue to cover your costs if your business was unable to operate for a few days, a week or longer?
This information is general only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It should not be relied upon as advice. As with any insurance, cover will be subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the policy wording.
© 2023 BizCover Pty Limited, all rights reserved. ABN 68 127 707 975; AFSL 501769

Compare multiple quotes online in minutes

Compare FREE quotes

Compare multiple quotes online in minutes

Trusted by over 220,000 Australian small businesses.

Compare FREE quotes

Popular Searches